Top tips in making a Scrum process successful:
- Have a kick-off meeting to explain the Scrum process and the reason behind it.
- Don't pick and choose what to implement in the Scrum process.
- Executive needs to communicate the new direction clearly and forcefully.
- Determination and buy in are important to break old bad habits.
- Don't be discourage by the early glitch in deploying a Scrum process. Mistakes happen.
- Do not add un-planned stories to a Sprint. It safeguards the productivity and the momentum of a project.
- Be discipline. Start daily scrum on time and attendance is mandatory. Keep the meeting within 15 minutes.
- Encourage business owner involvement through constant demonstration and attendance in the Scrum daily meeting.
- Only people performing the actual work should speak at the daily scrum.
- Stick with the 3 basic Scrum questions.
- Encourage engineers in giving feedback in the product and sprint backlog.
- Follow up comments on retrospective meetings and make continuous process improvement.
- Having a scrum of scrum to facilitate communication on integration and overlapping responsibility.
- Always time box the length of a sprint.
- Encourage co-location of team members and verbal communication.
- In the first few sprints, under estimation on the story duration is common. Don't over-react if it happens.
- Use a spike to handle issues that are yet to understand.
- Scurm is a process of motivating people rather than tight control on project progress.